Tips for Fire Safety - Children
Preventing Fire & Burn
- Stay away from anything that is hot.
- Keep a safe distance from boiling water and hot oils.
- Check the temperature of hot beverages before drinking.
- Keep a safe distance from cooking area.
Safety around Electrical Appliances
- Use electrical appliances only after asking your parents.
- Do not use electrical appliances if your hands, cloths or shoes are wet.
- If you see frayed wires or cords, do not touch them. Tell a parent immediately.
- Do not stick finger, toys or other objects into an electrical outlet.
- Avoid overloading electric sockets as it may cause overheating and result in a fire.
- Use a long stick to light a firecracker.
- Light a firecracker at an arm’s length.
- Wait for an Adult before lighting firecrackers.
- Wear fitted cotton clothes that do not catch fire easily when lighting firecrackers.
- It is not safe to re-light firecracker that did not ignite the first time.
- Find an open area away from trees and homes before lighting a firecracker.
- Keep a bucket of sand or water nearby when lighting firecrackers in case there is a fire.
Safety around Open Flames
- Keep burning candles and oil lamps away from furniture, bedding, curtains, carpet books, and other flammable items and decorations.
- Stay away from matchsticks and lighters.
- Remember to blow out candles and turn off oil lamps before going to sleep.
Safety in Fire Emergency
- Never go back inside a burning house, once you are out, stay out!
- If there is a lot of smoke and it is difficult to see, get low and crawl out of the house as quickly as possible.
- If you are in a building which is on fire, use the stairs and not the elevator or lift to exit.
- Know the emergency contact numbers of the fire brigade (101) and ambulance (108) in Pune.