Pune aspires to be a “smart” and innovative in their service delivery; with better resource utilization, low-carbon footprint and an inclusive community. The aim is to be a city where citizens enjoy balanced social and economic opportunities. The objective is to create new business and employment opportunities for all its citizen. To achieve this, Pune needs to bridge the gap between economic and social systems. The aim is to create a more Inclusive society.
The main questions that the strategy looks to answer are:
- How can digital transformation help unlock economic opportunities for all
- How can the government leverage technology to bridge the gap between bottom of the pyramid to the top in order to transform their daily lives
- How data can be leveraged for creating pre-emptive solutions
We want to be able to leverage the advancements in technology to reach out to the most economically challenged section of society. To further promote local industries and foreign investments we need to have the infrastructure and connectivity, as well as the information, skills and capability, to engage with and benefit from digital technology. This strategy marks the beginning of bringing about financial inclusion.
Pune currently attracts the best talent from around the world but to remain competitive the idea is not just about attracting international companies but helping our existing small-to-medium businesses to reap in the benefits of developing their digital capability for their own prosperity. The aim is to become self-reliant and innovative in solving the issues. For this to happen every citizen should have access to the right Infrastructure – High capacity, high speed connectivity. In addition to resilient infrastructure a key requirement is investment in physical ICT assets.
We realize the digital gap that exists in the society and one way to address this is to provide all community members with public access to digital Infrastructure and services. Skill enhancement and Education – to address the disruption in the labor market will require skills training and support for those losing out from the digital transition.
Pune has been witnessing rapid growth in population, migratory population and registration of business, IT and Automobile Exports. Pune is also ahead in development in the IT / Digital Space.
Statistics below act as drivers for the city’s digital strategy:
- 22% of Pune households have access to laptop / computer with internet (Compared to 11% of urban Maharashtra)
- 64% of Pune households have access to mobile phones.
Clearly, there is a growing segment of population which expects on-demand information and round the clock services. Also, there has been a growing digital divide with marginalized communities unable to access the information. In order to align its services and effectively serve its citizens, Pune needs a well-defined Digital strategy to address these issues and present an integrated view of various initiatives under Pune Municipal Corporation and Smart City Mission.
The City Digital Strategy of Pune aims at providing the Integrated Eco System.
To achieve this objective, It has certain key features, such as:
1. It is Adaptive/Fluid for City : The strategy is fluid in nature and is adaptive for the whole city
2. Practical and Achievable for City : It has been formulated in such a way that it is practical and entirely achievable
3. Multi Stakeholder Approach for City : It incorporates views of multiple stakeholder and gives holistic approach, keeping in mind every stakeholder’s needs
4. Integrated Approach for City : It follows integrated approach for whole city and keeps needs of whole city in contention
5. Open Architecture for City : It has open technology architecture and follows data-centric approach, allowing decision makers to take decisions based on data and not gut-feeling